Sunday, December 21, 2014

Be Thou My Vision ~ Faith Blum


  • File Size: 3910 KB
  • Print Length: 270 pages
  • Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1500890537
  • Publisher: Faith Blum (October 26, 2014)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00NF3QV52





 October 26, 2014


The church was empty when I dragged myself out of the pew and headed out the door. As I opened the door, the corner of my eye caught a flicker of movement which I chose to ignore. I walked down the steps and was nearly bowled over by two wild boys. With arms grown strong and quick from man-handling two brothers growing up, I grabbed the two boys before they had a chance to escape me. 

Anna Stuart is comfortable with her life. She may be a 30 year old spinster, but she has her routine and enjoys taking care of her father and older brother. One letter shatters all her routines, comfort, and enjoyment. After learning of her brother’s death, Anna feels like her life will never be the same again.

Then she meets two motherless boys. Did God place them in her life to lead her to a new vision of life? Can she trust God to give her the desires of her heart before she even knows what they are?

Note from the Author: Even though this book is the 2nd in the series, reading book 1 is not essential to reading book 2. That being said, some things in book 1 would help you to further understand some of the backstory in this book.

My take on this book:
Be Thou My Vision is an old hymn that Faith Blum actually blends into her inspirational, historical romance that easily pulled me back to the mid 1800's. Thirty year old Anna Stuart has lived on her father's farm cooking and cleaning for him and her older brother Caleb, but always wondered about her younger brother Jed. When she gets a letter from him saying he is going to be hanged he shares his faith and encourages her to find God as well. When she decides to go to church it seems that God has a plan for her when two motherless boys who need guidance crosses  her path. 

Faith Blum knows how to blend faith, feelings, and characters together to make for a page turning story where the plot zips along, and the ending leaves you missing the characters and wanting to hear more from them!  I found myself drawn to the character of Anna from the beginning, it took the death of her younger brother to propel her into living again, something that the author allows us to see and experience as she decided to go to church. Her older brother Caleb also seemed to want change, and the secret he shared was one I certainly didn't see coming. My heart ached as Faith Blum shared what their childhood had been like and why the younger brother had left home at fourteen. While I wanted to dislike their father for the hurts he caused the author had me feeling empathy for him, and hoping that he would change his life. The romance was well written, there was a sweetness in seeing the feelings shift from friendship to something more. I loved the children, the exuberance they often felt jumped from the pages, and the relationship between father and sons was a nice contrast to how things were in the Stuart home. Ms. Blum allows her faith to shine thru as she shares the characters growth and change as they develop a closer relationship with God. I thought the turmoil that the author threw into the story added a nice balance to the faith based messages. Anyone who enjoys inspiring historical fiction will certainly enjoy Be Thou My Vision, I know I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

Reviewed for Readersfavorite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!