Friday, August 29, 2014

Cat's Got His Tongue ~ Jane McBride


  • Series: Ann and Henry
  • Paperback: 208 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (April 14, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1492730033
  • ISBN-13: 978-1492730033


This book is also available as an ebook.



Kyle Mendez never wanted any attention from anyone, but after he nearly kills a would-be child abductor in a mall with his bare hands, he gets plenty of it. His vigilante actions quickly elevate him to hero status once his mug shot and the mall security video hit the news, but even worse, his dormant PTSD has been awakened, affecting his marriage and the lives of everyone around him. His ultimate solution is a spiritual journey that leads him to some extraordinary people who will change everything.

My take on this book:
Cat's Got His Tongue by Jane McBride takes readers on an emotional journey from the beginning pages. Everything in Kyle and Ann's life changes in a split second when something happens at the mall that puts their daughter in jeopardy. Instead of drawing the couple together Kyle becomes distant as he tries to deal with what happened, and soon learns that he can't do it alone. He finds himself back in therapy but realizes the true answer to finding peace is forgiving the person who changed their life, but in order to do that Kyle feels he must take a trip to see him. The journey he embarks on allows him to make a few new friends,but will it allow him to find the peace he longs for?

I have had the privilege of reading all four books in the Ann and Henry series and Cat's Got His Tongue was by far the most stirring, emotionally charged story yet! I found myself drawn in from the very beginning, when a simple day at the mall turns into a scene that no parent even wants to imagine. Ann immediately reacts, but it is what Kyle does that elevates him to hero in so many peoples eyes, but for him he struggles with what he did. He questions not only his faith, but the way that he reacted makes him realize that he isn't always in control of his anger.  I found myself questioning what was right according to the law versus doing what needs to be done in order to protect family. The emotions of the characters was tangible, I immediately felt hate for the perpetrator, but then the author gave glimpses of a hurting soul that I wound up feeling empathy for.  I felt like I was on an emotional journey myself as Cat's Got His Tongue unfolded. From the dramatic beginning Ms. McBride doesn't allow the plot to drag, from the waiting room of Kyle's therapist where we meet men who are dealing with PTSD, to the characters Kyle meets while taking his trip, each character provides an interesting, sometimes heart touching look at life. While we meet several new characters, including Daisy the cat but my heart was very heavy when a few characters didn't make it. Jane McBride has created memorable characters that truly feel like family. She allows me to share their ups and downs, but also allows me to share their hope and faith.Cat's Got His Tongue grabbed my heart from the beginning pages taking me on an emotional journey that provided a few laughs but also allowed me to get real glimpses of faith, family and love. Easily one of my favorite series, and one I highly recommend. 

Reviewed for Readersfavorite.com

1 comment:

  1. Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.
    Interesting post, just one request, would you be able to elaborate the third paragraph in greater depth please? Cheers
    Cardsharing Server

    ReplyDelete

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!